Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Cruise Journal: 12/15/2007

Last Day at Sea, I Hope

Slept in! Got up, ate lunch in the sports bar by myself. Very good pasta. Yum. Chicken okay. But nice to have some more alone time. Then read a book for a while. Then took a beginning German lesson. Didn’t learn much. Then ran down, grabbed flip flops, then went for my mani/pedi. Very relaxing. Then jumped on line to e-mail Brooke what number mom’s mailbox is, so she can be sure to check the mail.

Now sitting and chilling over e-mail, cookies, and diet coke. I’m really ready to get home. But there’s fog in the port of Houston, so we might not be able to dock on schedule. Or at all, sounds like. I don’t know what their contingency plans are, but I really hope this doesn’t interfere with my ability to get to Dan and Rachel’s wedding.

Relaxing at the End

I’m all but packed. I’ll change into night clothes, toss these clothes into my luggage, tie on the last tag, leave my two big bags outside for the stewards to pick up, go to sleep, and debark tomorrow morning carrying two small bags. At least, I hope I debark tomorrow morning. If I have to miss the wedding because of this, I’m going to be highly displeased.

But for now, I have just a few computer things to wrap up, like transferring my photos and getting my sister’s camera ready to go back to her. And I’m sitting here on a cruise ship sipping a kir royale whilst computing, so I suppose I can’t complain.

We’ve been passing lights for several hours now. Other cruise ships, miscellaneous unidentifiable water craft, and oil platforms. Lots of these. It’s a lovely night, and I can feel home getting closer and closer. It’s been a fun trip, but I’m definitely ready to get back to U.S. soil, my own bed, and my friends. With any luck, I’ll be seeing a lot of folks at the wedding that I haven’t seen in months. With my usual luck, I could miss seeing them, and that would make me very sad.

But for now, I’m going to stay optimistic and raise my glass to a wonderful vacation well over. Cheers!

No comments: