Saturday, February 18, 2006

Looooooooooooooooooooooong Week

Heh, so I've put together a break-down on the project that made this week fairly hellish for me. I was doing a detailed check on quotations and reference citations for a book one of my favorite profs is writing. He's very happy with my work, and nitpicking is really one of my strong suits, so looking back, I'm satisfied with my incredible productivity! But boy was it a CHORE!

  • NO clue what I was doing to start off with. . .
  • 3 bibliographies to wade through. . .
  • 5 different ways to spell "cynic" (3 in ONE poem, stupid non-normalized 17th century spelling). . .
  • 10 hours as his estimate of how long it would take me. . .
  • 33 hours is how long it actually took. . .
  • 58 BOOKS arranged on my coffee table as sources to verify. . .
  • 82 manilla folders of copies and printouts of OTHER sources to verify. . .
  • 107 pages of manuscript. . .
  • 140 FOOTNOTES, O . . . M . . . G. . .
And that was all for . . .
  • ONE FRIGGIN CHAPTER!!!
But hey, he paid me, so I can pay my credit card bill much more painlessly, AND I'll be in the Acknowledgements! *Huge grin*

I let him know on Monday what my time looks like next week, because he would like my help on two more chapters. He's assured me that they will all be in modern English, and have less footnotes; the worst is over. He also thinks I have a real knack for this sort of thing, and is thinking of who I can talk to about getting into technical publishing. Intriguing! He's also just dying to give me recommendations galore, so I think I'll take it. Besides, I like the guy. He's an awesome prof.

In other news, my jaw is spasming, so it hurts to chew! This happened my junior year in college. Apparently when I get stressed I clench my jaw in my sleep. Yay. Last time they gave me valium. (heh heh!)

No poetry today, but I'm going to post an edit to the one I put up on V-day. If you have an opinion, you're welcome to share. Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

spicey pineapple said...

nice work lol nah pretty hectic weeks are tough but you will survive, interesting blog you have got going here its a good read. feel freee to check mine out if not happy blogging

Laura said...

Heh! Thanks! Glad you enjoy it!