Monday, May 21, 2007

Bad day for Bob

Bob and I didn't have a good night last night. I aerated the tanks, and everyone was just fine. Then a few hours later, when I got up to put Bob back in the kitchen and go to bed, I noticed that I couldn't see anyone swimming in my new tank. No one. There were four growing Bobs in there and a squizzlet the last time I had checked. Now nothing.

I looked very close at the bottom of the tank. There was a layer of fluffy greenish stuff that I thought was algae. But everything I've read says algae in the tank is a good thing, and this was no good thing. The fluffy greenish stuff was twitching in a few places. It had grabbed onto my four baby Bobs and now covered their little gills and it wouldn't let go.

I used the aqualeash to pull them up off the bottom and move the water around them. Some of the green stuff came off, but not enough.

I moved them into little dish and tried to clean them off more. I aerated the water in the dish and put some of the sea-medic stuff, and it was all I could do. I went to bed.

When I got up this morning, one of them had shaken it all off. I pulled him out and put him in the old tank. The other three were still very bad. When I got home from work, the one I'd put in the old tank was still all right. I was relieved to find the little tiny Bob still in the new tank and still alive, so I moved it to the old tank. I hope it does okay.

But one of the three Bobs in the dish was dead. The other two don't look good at all. I don't think there's any hope for it. I put in just a little more medicine. And now I can only wait.

I love my little Bobs. I'm glad I saved one. But I'm sad.

No comments: