Friday, March 10, 2006

Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.

Luke 15:9

Today dropped into the palm of my hand like a blessing, like an olive branch. While I was packing to come home for Spring Break, I finally, finally found it! My great-grandmother's cross of silver and marcasite that I hadn't seen since Thanksgiving. I found it in a pocket of my bag that I'd searched five times already. Call it oversight if you want, I call it a miracle. I had completely given up hope. This was worth so much more to me than any coin; I've lost so many of my loved ones over the past ten years that I've learned to value the tiniest keepsake.

This cross has a beauty for me beyond the metal and stones, and beyond the blessed memories of a gracious and lovely woman. I had gotten into the habit of wearing my cross each lent as a reminder and as a strengthener of my resolutions. I had missed it very much this year. When it came out of that pocket, I couldn't believe it. I clasped it to my heart and started crying. I thank God for bringing it back to me on a day when I needed it the most.

Some of you who read this will know the demons I've been struggling against. Some of you will have comforted me during the dark, faith-lacking times I've been through. I got more back today than a cross. To me, this is a sign that I am finally, finally on the right track again.

This day hasn't been perfect. I found out I owe a lot more money in taxes than I thought (stupid contracting work) and I almost got plowed by an RV driving from Houston to Schertz today (stupid people not checking mirrors before changing lanes). But it really is a lovely day. The sun is shining and the sky is blue. The air here has a hot, dry smell. There were blue bonnets and primroses all along the highway, and my heart was so light that I almost took Otto up to 100 MPH without noticing it! Not optimal, but I do love the feel of the highway under me when I'm driving too fast :-P.

Lent is supposed to be a time of reflection, a solemn time when we take a good look at ourselves. I've been trying to do that even more this year, but today I could not suppress the pure joy of just being. Today was a gift for which I am grateful. I have found what I had lost; rejoice with me!

No comments: