Saturday, March 17, 2007

Eep! Bluebonnets!

I saw them!!! In the park along White Oak Bayou, down on East T. C. Jester! Lots and lots of bluebonnets! It's spring.

I was driving around the Heights. It's a beautiful day. Down Heights Blvd., there were some cops on motorcycles at the funeral home. There was a hearse. I wondered where they would be burying the deceased. It seems like a morbid thing to think of on a gorgeous sunny spring day, but it's not. My heart goes out to a grieving family, a grieving communtity. It made me think that the Heights is a place, in the heart of Houston, where people know each other. Have seen eachother grow up and grow old. My Aunt Ann lives here, and my Aunt Shirley. When I went to visit my Aunt Ann for dinner a few weeks ago, she mentioned that one of her friends had passed recently, who had lived here her whole life.

If I could choose, I would want my funeral to be on a lovely spring day, in the heart of a community where people have known me for years. Knew me when I was a child, even, if any such people are still alive once I've reached the ripe old age I intend to live to. :-) So many things have happened to me lately, nothing huge, but small impressions here and there. And I can't seem to get my mind around them just now. Can't work them out. They sink in and percolate around, and become a part of who I am and how I feel and think. This is one of them. Police motorcycles outside of a funeral home on a beautiful day. Men in black suits quiet by the hearse. Bluebonnets in a city park.

Oh, and happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: