Saturday, March 31, 2007

Meditation on tablature and sore fingers

It seems fairly appropriate that my fingernails had grown somewhat long, but were actually strong and healthy, not brittle like they normally are. Manicures pay off.

At any rate, I've cut my nails. Very short.

And I've started working my way through the first pages of the guitar books Chuck lent me. I've started learning to read tablature. It's pretty cool. It makes sense, and I'm getting it pretty well. Most of my problems are spatial. My fingers aren't always on the string I think they're on.

But OW, those strings hurt my poor soft wimpy little fingers. As I type with my left hand or rest the tips of my fingers on the keys, it's like I can feel the strings there still, pressing in. They *hurt*! And getting my pinky finger on the fourth fret is kind of a stretch.

The second song in the book is "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." It may be such a simple little song, but it means a lot to me to learn to play it with some sort of technique. If that seems strange to you, you can read "Daddy's Guitar" and find out why.

Next weekend I'll drive out to my grandmother's house near La Grange for Easter. Mom says she'll put out new flowers for Daddy's grave now instead of waiting until May.

I don't think I'll have time to visit on or around May 3, since I'm headed to New Orleans on the 4th.

Well, I think that's all I have tonight. My head hurts a little. So I will let my meditations drift off out of words.

No comments: